Any affiliate marketer knows that getting a profit is just the tip of the iceberg.
Behind successful cases, huge and little profits, there is always a lot of work, including: testing offers, creatives and traffic sources.
On the world wide web you rarely find cases with a negative ROI, but there are plenty of exclusively green statistics. We wrote about the expediency of such publications in the article “Bad “good” statistics. Is what we see true?“.
What most often remains in the shadow of publications about successful cases? Resources and time spent on tests prior to finding working bundles.
In the article we will discuss: how much can you spend on tests? Common mistakes and recommendations for testing, and of course the case of a webmaster, whose test budget was $18,000.
Tests are an experiment to understand which of the combinations "plays" better.
- Start with High activity cohorts, that is, with users who are subscribed to push notifications from 1 to 3 days.
- Don't test 200 different GEOs at once. Start with 1-2 GEOs.
- At $50, you can't get an idea of the quality of traffic on a Tier 1 network. Therefore, if you have a limited budget, do not choose large GEOs, as there is high competition, and, accordingly, a high cost per click.
- It is more appropriate to choose Tier-2 or Tier-3 if you have a small budget for the test.
- Quickly eliminate all ineffective sources and targeting and focus on no more than 1-2 offers.
- Didn't test at all. Relying on luck is not a systematic approach to work, and if you are lucky with one offer, it does not mean that you will be with the next. Affiliate marketing is not a casino.
- Test a million creatives at a time; At the other extreme, don't test creatives at all.
- Not having an action plan. A strategy in affiliate marketing is half the way to a successful campaign.
- Rushing it and finishing too soon;The test should be run for as long as it takes to collect enough data to draw conclusions. No more, no less.
- Trying to copy someone else's successful case and expect at least the same result. The same applies to the use of other people's creatives.
- Launch multiple GEOs in one campaign. This will not give correct data for analytics.
The secret of success is simple and complex at the same time - tests, error analysis, retest, research, scaling.